What is a measured volumetric burette set?
A burette set is an IV solution administration set with volume of 100ml, 110ml or 150ml, usually equipped with a part for adding medication. It allows accurate administration of certain volume of solution.
What are burette set parts?
Burette Set Parts include:
- Luer Lock Connector: to connect pvc tubing with hypodermic needle.
- Flow Regulator: to control flow rate of IV solution.
- Robert Clamp/ Slide Clamp: to control on and off status of IV solution.
- Injection Site: can be rubber flash bulb or y injection site or needle free connector, to allow extra and immediate medication for patients.
- Micro Drip Chamber with Filter: to allow 60drops/ml flow rate and bacteria filtration.
- Auto Shut-Off Floater Valve: to reveal remaining volume inside burette chamber, and to shut off flowing rate when chamber is almost empty.
- Closure Piercing Device: to connect with infusion bag.
- Air Inlet Closure: to adjust volume level by opening or closing it.
What are features of burette set?
A volumetric burette set will have larger chamber whose volume is 100ml or 150ml. Meanwhile, there will be scale printed outside burette chamber to show current liquid volume level.
- Flow Rate
Liquid in drip chamber of a volumetric burette set will flow at speed of 60drops/ml, while flow rate of a common infusion set is usually 20drops/ml.
- Shut-Off Valve
Auto shut-off floater valve is a unique part of burette set is only used in volumetric burette set, it mainly works for 3 purposes:
- to reveal liquid volume level clearly
- to stop liquid flow when burette chamber is close to empty
- to prevent inadvertent over-transfusion
- Robert Clamp/ Slide Clamp
To cut off liquid flow when in need urgently.
Volumetric burette set is also called paediatric set, the most common use of burette is infusion for children to to control liquid flow rate and avoid potential risk from common infusion set.